Sunday, November 22, 2009

Religion

Religion reflects human imagination concerning the cosmos. Organized religion restricts human imagination concerning the cosmos.



I posted that statement under this same title at my IonaArc blog on 2009 09 30. My ex-wife posted a comment — "interesting thoughts." Subsequently I've been moving religion-related posts from IonaArc to here, my new blog, dedicated to such considerations, but in this case I also leave the original statement there plus Hilary's comment. What else I added there I continue here:

My post on CommunicationN will say more on the same theme.
2009 10 26

My current thinking emphasizes the difference between individual and group. The proposition that there is a God who speaks to a Moses (or a Jesus) (or a pk) does not necessitate any proposition that that God therefore speaks to the Jews (or to the Christians) (or to Americans).

Every Christian faction believes that they've got God right (says Bart Ehrman). I say that those factions are wrong: so they put me in Siberia, ignore-while-censoring my theo-cosmologies. I am sustained by imagining a Judgment in which God merely shows people their actual behavior – as distinct from their wishful image. Not in eternity! Time itself is infinite. Merely after we're extinct will suffice.

And I iterate my point from my one article actually published, long ago in 1971, that universities (and all socially-compelled Western schools) derive from Christian monasteries: not thought fettered only by truth; no: thought control.

The orthodox don't listen to the heterodox, will break all their own rules to avoid hearing. Universities have as much academic freedom as monasteries have philosophical tolerance: the same amount of "free speech" that Americans have in a media-ruled market: where the media depend on advertising revenue, and advertising revenue depends entirely upon Pollyanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment