Saturday, September 4, 2010

Either / Or: First Draft

Christians say that God has a name and that his name is Jehovah. Jews say Jahweh (and Christians who've read more than one book say there's no difference: so let's ignore that.) Muslims say God has a name and that his name is Allah. Well, which is it? And why do Arabs have a say in the matter? So it's got to be Jehovah, right? As Hitler used to say, There's aways one of two possibilities. Jehovah.

There couldn't be three possibilities, could there? Could God's name be Harry? Or Barbara? Or Beeblethrux? And it couldn't be that God has no name, could it? How could a magical entity exist without a name?

Never mind, that's all trivial throat clearing: here's my real dilema: I don't care about names. What I care about is consciousness, awareness, sentience. I know that humans are hardly more aware than caterpillars, look at an ad sometime if you doubt it. So I'm used to that; but I can't stand the idea of there being no consciousness: just as I can't stand the idea of there being no God (of whichever name I don't care).

So: either there is a God (whatever his name), and he is conscious, and therefore, at Judgment, the truth can be known (at least by God) (even if he can't share it with caterpillars). Or, there is and will be no Judgment, no awareness, no consciousness, no truth: not among caterpillars — and not among gods either.



Few have ever understood anything I've said: and at universities (or barrooms) where a few have understood varying degrees of what I've said, no quorum developed, no synergy, so I write, justifiably, with irony so heavy you may call it sarcasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment